When to buy first shoes?
It is only when your child takes their first steps that you will need to deal with purchasing shoes. In order to provide enough space for the rolling of the foot, the shoes on the inside should be 3/4 inch larger than the foot.
- Always buy your child’s footwear in the afternoon, because feet are slightly larger by that time of day.
- Also, measure your child’s feet in the afternoon and do so while they are standing, in order to determine the actual size. Only rarely will the right and left foot be the same. The longer foot determines the shoe size to be bought.
- With the help of an inexpensive inner shoe measuring instrument, you are always on the safe side when buying your shoes.
- If your child’s shoes leave less than 0.5 inches / 12 mm of space for the feet, it is time to buy new shoes.
- New shoes, on the other hand, should leave at least 0.7 inches / 17 mm of free space for the feet to move.
- Shoes should neither be too big nor too small. Likewise, stiff or airtight shoeswithout respiratory activity are very bad for children’s foot development. Children’s shoes should be made of soft material and allow the feet to breathe.
- Rubber boots are not suitable as everyday shoes.
- Check the smell of the shoes in store: Do they smell strongly of chemicals? If so, it is not advisable to purchase them as that would expose your child to many chemicals.
- Between the ages of 3 and 6, children’s shoe sizes usually only last for 5 months. Then your child will need the next size up.
- Your children can also wear used shoes – provided that they are not worn out on one side or that the inner sole is severely deformed. Disinfection is recommended.
- Your child’s feet are soft and malleable. In addition, their sense of touch is still developing, which means that children often do not feel when the shoe is too small and their feet unhealthy. Where adults would feel pain right away, children can force their feet into the shoe without even feeling a thing. Therefore, the responsibility to buy the right shoes lies with the parents!